The gestational age for a pregnancy is approximately 40 weeks. Week 40 is typically calculated from the first day of the woman’s last menstrual period. This is merely a basic estimated period of time given that healthy babies can be birthed at any time within 30 days short of the typical 40 week period. Typical gestation for a full-term baby is between 37 and 42 weeks. This is the period in which the baby may be delivered.
Your conception date is all about timing. Tracking your menstrual cycle can give you hints about when your body is prime to achieve conception through ovulation timed with sexual intercourse.
Learn when you are most fertile by charting your menstrual cycle and recording approximately how long it lasts.
- Day 1 is the first day of your period
- 24 hour ovulation period is the day your ovary releases an egg
- 5 days preceding ovulation
Step by Step Calculation of Conception Date
- Arrive at an average day length of your menstrual cycle
- Subtract 18 days from the average day length of cycle less 18 days
- This calculates the first day in your cycle you are likely to be fertile
- Then, subtract 11 days from the length of your longest cycle
- This is the last day you are likely to conceive
- Having sexual intercourse between these 2 dates will give you the best chance of getting pregnant
Due Date Calculator
If you are pregnant, use this due date calculator courtesy of WebMD to estimate your upcoming date of giving birth.
Other manual methods include:
- Calculation based upon the first day of your last menstrual period
- Calculation based upon the day of ovulation
Pioneering Fertility Treatment Provider
Dr. Hugh D. Melnick is a reproductive endocrinologist successfully treating patients with hormonal and fertility problems since 1976.
In 1983, Dr. Melnick founded Advanced Fertility Services in New York City. Advanced Fertility Services was the City’s first free-standing In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) center. Today, the center is a preeminent facility offering all-encompassing diagnostic and reproductive treatment options for couples struggling with infertility. Dr. Melnick is the author of The Pregnancy Prescription, an acclaimed guide for couples who are unable to conceive.
The Doctor will help you plan your pregnancy and design an individualized treatment plan to help improve your fertility.
Dr. Melnick is available for consultation via Skype. Click the icon below and enter your information – or – call Advanced Fertility Services at 212.369.8700 to schedule your consultation.