Fertility drugs comprise a substantial portion of the total cost of In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) treatment. Ranging between $3,000 and $5,000 per IVF cycle, the cost of fertility drugs may not be covered by your insurance. Fertility drugs are used to adjust a woman’s hormone levels during IVF treatment to enhance her chances of pregnancy. Ovulation regulation medications increase the chance of a women getting pregnant.
During IVF treatment, fertility drugs used to make hormonal adjustments are prescribed to:
- Stimulate the production of multiple egg follicles
- Trigger the release of eggs,
- Suppress the release of eggs, or
- Otherwise regulate ovulation
Fertility Injections for Infertility
- Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG). This medication is typically used in conjunction with other fertility drugs to trigger the release of a woman’s matured eggs. Common brand names: Novarel, Ovidrel, Pregnyl, and Profasi.
- Follicle Stimulating Hormones (FSH). This medication stimulates the development and growth of eggs in a woman’s ovaries. Common brand names: Bravelle, Fertinex, Follistim, and Gonal-F.
- Human Menopausal Gonadotropin (HMG). This medication combines FSH and luteinizing hormone (LH). Common brand names: Menopur, Metrodin, Pergonal, and Repronex.
- Gonadotropin Releasing Hormone Agonist (GnRH agonist). This medication is used to treat endometriosis. Common brand names: Lupron, Synarel, and Zoladex.
- Gonadotropin Releasing Hormone Antagonist (GnRH antagonist). These medications are used to regulate female hormone responses. Common brand names: Antagon and Cetrotide.
Determining the Cost of Fertility Drugs
First, thoroughly review of the terms of your health insurance policy. The plain language of the policy will determine the scope of your coverage for fertility drugs. The terms of your health insurance policy will contain one of the following:
- A complete exclusion of fertility drugs and treatments
- Coverage for infertility diagnosis only
- Coverage for infertility diagnosis plus limited treatment services – limited drugs
- Complete coverage for infertility diagnosis and treatment
- Including fertility drugs
- Limiting fertility drugs
- Excluding fertility drugs
Second, review your policy’s terms and conditions about where you must purchase your fertility drugs:
- Through selected pharmaceutical providers
- Through your insurance carrier’s prescription drug plan
Third, let the insurance experts at Advanced Fertility Services help you review and understand the extent of your fertility drug insurance coverage. The insurance experts at Advanced Fertility Services will make every effort to discover all available coverage available to you for the cost of IVF fertility drugs.
Financing Options for Fertility Drugs
Advanced Fertility Services is experienced in working with many insurance carriers. The insurance experts at Advanced Fertility Services will help you process claims for all IVF fertility drugs covered by your policy.
Click the icon below and enter your information online – or – call Advanced Fertility Services directly at 212.369.8700 to schedule your consultation.