One of the first recommended medical procedures for treating a woman’s infertility is artificial insemination, also known as Intrauterine Insemination (IUI).
Artificial Insemination Candidates
Artificial insemination is typically recommended as the first infertility treatment option for women 35 and younger who have been unable to get pregnant after one year of regular, unprotected sexual intercourse.
- Women who have unobstructed fallopian tubes
- Women who have a normal uterine cavity
- Women whose male partner has a low sperm count or other sperm deficiencies
- Lesbian couples seeking to become pregnant through donor sperm
According to Dr. Hugh Melnick – a pioneering practitioner of artificial insemination – this procedure is a scientifically proven method of increasing a woman’s chance of conceiving a baby. Dr. Melnick is a fertility specialist who has successfully treated thousands of women for their infertility since 1976.
Artificial Insemination Treatment Protocol
Artificial insemination is favored by Dr. Hugh Melnick because the procedure is a low cost infertility treatment alternative that is highly successful in increasing a woman’s chance of pregnancy.
Protocol for artificial insemination:
- The patient is typically prescribed a single oral medication (usually Clomid) to stimulate her egg growth.
- In some circumstances Dr. Melnick may prescribe Clomid in combination with a low dose of Gonadotropin (FSH/LH) injections during the patient’s cycle to stimulate her egg growth.
- The development of the patient’s egg follicles are monitored by Dr. Melnick throughout her cycle with blood level hormone measurements and regular pelvic ultrasounds.
- When the doctor has determined that the patient’s eggs are at the optimal development stage, ovulation is induced via one hCG injection.
- The male’s sperm specimen is produced in one of the comfortable patient rooms at AFS and washed and prepared in a laboratory setting using special viability enhancement solutions.
- Alternatively, frozen sperm is thawed, washed, and prepared for insemination.
- The washed and prepared sperm specimen is then prepared for insertion into the patient’s uterus simply by using an insemination catheter.
- The preparation and insertion of the sperm directly into the patient’s uterus assures that a highly concentrated amount of morphologically normal, mobile, and active sperm have a greater opportunity to fertilize the patient’s eggs
- Usually 2 x IUI inseminations are performed after the hCG ovulation release injection – between 12 and 36 hours after administration – to increase the chance of conception.
- No anesthesia is required to perform artificial insemination – it is similar to a Pap smear procedure – although mild cramping may be experienced.
- Artificial insemination is performed in Dr. Melnick’s comfortable patient rooms.
Best Artificial Insemination Doctor in NYC
Artificial insemination provides a low cost infertility treatment for increasing a woman’s chance of pregnancy.
Dr. Melnick has successfully treated thousands of patients suffering from infertility through artificial insemination since 1976. To discover whether artificial insemination may increase your chances of getting pregnant, contact Advanced Fertility Services.
Click below to schedule a consultation or call directly – 212.369.8700.