In conjunction with the In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) treatment process, it is standard procedure for Dr. Hugh Melnick to recommend a fertilization enhancement procedure known as Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSI) – pronounced phonetically – ick see. Through ICSI-enhanced IVF, the woman’s eggs are retrieved via the same procedure as a standard IVF procedure, however, the fertilization process is enhanced by an embryologist injecting a single sperm directly into each egg.
ICSI is an ancillary procedure typically performed when male infertility is a primary factor.
- When there are very few sperm available – low sperm count
- Poor morphology – abnormally shaped sperm
- Poor motility – abnormally low movement of sperm
- When past IVF cycles have not resulted in fertilized eggs – embryos – or a very low successful fertilization rate
- To increase the chances of fertilization when only a few eggs have been retrieved
- Sperm must be retrieved surgically from the testicles – or epididymis – because of a previous vasectomy preventing sperm ejaculate (PESA or TESA)
- Frozen sperm is being used
- Embryo testing is being performed in conjunction with IVF
After a woman’s eggs have been retrieved via the standard IVF process, the eggs will be fertilized in vitro. In Advance Fertility Services’ state-of-the-art IVF laboratory, a highly-specialized embryologist will inject a single sperm into each egg. The fertilized eggs – embryos – will be monitored on a daily basis by the embryologist as they develop into quality embryos. When the embryos have reach a quality growth stage, one or more will be transferred into the woman’s uterus.
Cost of ICSI
At Advanced Fertility Services, for the additional cost of $1,000, ICSI in conjunction with the IVF procedure, will:
- Increase the chances an egg is fertilized
- Increase the chances the fertilized egg develops into a high quality embryo
- Increase the chances the embryo will successfully implant into a woman’s uterus and thrive into a healthy fetus
- Increase the chances a healthy baby is carried to term!
Find out more about how ICSI can increase your chances of conceiving a baby in conjunction with In Vitro Fertilization (IVF). Contact Advanced Fertility Services today. Click below to schedule a consultation or call directly – 212.369.8700.