If you have unexplained pain in your pelvic area before, during, or after your menstrual cycle – or have been experiencing painful sexual intercourse – you may be suffering from signs that you may be infertile.
The most common medical conditions that cause a woman’s infertility are:
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)
- Uterine Fibroids
Sign No. 1 – Endometriosis
This is a condition that manifests when the tissue from the inner lining of a woman’s uterus (the endometrium) grows outside the uterus and into her ovaries and/or fallopian tubes.
Endometriosis causes infertility because:
- A woman’s menstrual blood is blocked from escaping her body
- The menstrual blood inflames her ovaries and/or fallopian tubes
- The inflammation causes scarring tissue to form within the ovaries and/or fallopian tubes
- An egg is unable to travel toward the sperm through her fallopian tubes
- A fertilized egg is unable to implant in the woman’s uterus
Endometriosis can cause pain before, during, and after a woman’s menstrual cycle. In severe cases, endometriosis will be painful throughout the month as well as during sexual intercourse.
Sign No. 2 – Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)
PID is caused by a chronic and untreated sexually transmitted disease, such as chlamydia or gonorrhea, and infects a woman’s uterus, fallopian tubes, and her ovaries.
- Chlamydia and gonorrhea infections are symptom silent as they infect a woman’s genital tract – meaning, she doesn’t know she is infected.
- These PIDs result in an inflammation of the reproductive organs and cause scarring tissue, pelvic pain, and painful periods – dysmenorrhea.
The chronic inflammation caused by PID:
- Makes sexual intercourse painful
- Damages the uterus
- Damages the fallopian tubes
- Decreases the chances of pregnancy
Sign No. 3 – Uterine Fibroids
Non-cancerous growths on the wall of the uterus are known as uterine fibroids. These cause painful periods, pelvic pain, heavy blood flow, and recurrent miscarriages.
- Fibroids vary in their size, number, and location, and all of these factors are very important to determining how they are causing a woman’s infertility.
- In addition to causing pain during periods and sexual intercourse – dyspareunia – these fibroids make pregnancy difficult because an embryo (egg fertilized by sperm) is unable to implant into a woman’s uterine lining and begin developing into a fetus
Medical Services to Diagnose Infertility
Advance Fertility Services provides the following diagnostic procedures for detecting signs that you may be infertile and need treatment in order to conceive a baby.
- Full Gynecologic Examinations
- Treatments for Gynecological Problems with Menstrual Cycle, Pelvic Pain, Pre-menstrual Tension and Depression
- Treatments for Menopausal Symptoms
- Evaluation of Current Fertility Status
- Treatment for Painful Sexual Intercourse
- Treatments for Low Sexual Drive or Difficulty with Orgasm
- Evaluation and Treatment for Thyroid Disorders
- Evaluation of Premature Ovarian Failure
- Evaluation of a Woman’s Hair Loss or Excessive Facial and Body Hair
Your diagnostic and treatment options are plentiful, so don’t ignore obvious pelvic pain signs. Be proactive and discover the signs of why you may be infertile.
Click below and enter your information to schedule a consultation or call 212.369.8700.