If you have a regular menstrual cycle and a healthy sex life, but have not become pregnant within the past year, you may be suffering from a hidden medical condition that is making you infertile. Dr. Hugh D. Melnick has a few signs that could point toward your possible infertility diagnosis – even if you are generally healthy and do not have any obvious risk factors – Diagnostic Testing.
Signs of Infertility
1. Your seemingly regular menstrual cycles may in fact be irregular if they:
- Are unusually short – occur within less than 24 days
- Are unusually long – occur within more than 35 days
- Come unpredictably
If this is you, you may have an irregular menstrual cycle. This could be a sign of possible ovulation problems hindering your natural fertility.
2. You menstruation blood flow is extremely heavy or light.
- A normal cycle ranges from bleeding for 3 to 7 days
- If bleeding is very light, this is abnormal
- If bleeding is heavy and intense, this is abnormal
- If your blood flow changes significantly month to month
- Unusual heaviness
- Unusual coloring
Seek out the advice of a fertility specialist if you are experiencing any of these signs as they could hint that you have a medical condition effecting your fertility.
3. You have severe menstrual cramping.
- What causes severe menstrual cramps may be impacting your fertility
- Cramps are caused by prostaglandins, a natural chemical in the tissues of your uterus
- Cramps that are caused or worsened by other diseases or abnormalities are known as secondary dysmenorrhea
- Secondary dysmenorrhea is related to infertility – Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID), Adenomyosis
4. You are extremely underweight or overweight. Unbalanced weight can lead to infertility problems. Other factors:
- Extreme dieting
- Poor dieting
- Too much exercise
A healthy weight range and diet will help your fertility and enhance your chances of becoming pregnant.
5. You have a history of multiple miscarriages. This is a sign that you are experiencing a reproductive medical problem and need a fertility specialist to help you maintain a healthy pregnancy.
- Only 10 to 20 percent of pregnancies will end in miscarriage
- You should consult with a fertility specialist after your second miscarriage
6. You have a history of a sexually transmitted disease (STDs).
- STDs cause infertility due to the infection and inflammation damage they cause to reproductive organs
- Both chlamydia and gonorrhea cause blockage of the fallopian tubes
- Blockage of the fallopian tubes makes pregnancy impossible or ectopic pregnancy possible
Discover other signs of infertility you were not aware of by scheduling a thorough diagnostic testing consultation with Dr. Hugh D. Melnick. He can enlighten you about why you are not getting pregnant and can guide you on your way to starting a family. Click below and enter your information or call Advanced Fertility Services at 212.369.8700.