When you’re trying to conceive, what was once an effortless activity becomes the subject of much scrutiny. What’s more, there is a significant amount of misinformation and mixed-messaging. These 10 tips can help you increase your chances of getting pregnant:
- Know when you ovulate. About two weeks after the start of your period, your ovaries release a new egg into the fallopian tubes. Ovulation is your most fertile period, when you are able to get pregnant. There are a number of online calculators and apps that can help you find out when you ovulate.
- Have sex regularly throughout the month. Although knowing when you ovulate is useful, the best method is to have sex every 2-3 days throughout the month. This takes the pressure and planning away from sex, and it also ensures that you still have a good chance of getting pregnant even if your ovulation date is off.
- Avoid ejaculating too frequently. Ejaculating every day or more can reduce sperm count, which in turn reduces the chances of getting pregnant.
- Choose lubrication carefully. Certain lubricants may affect the sperm or the female reproductive tract, making conception less likely, so choose a lubricant that’s proven to be safe for sperm.
- Lie down after sex. Elevating your hips with a pillow during sex, and lying down on your back for 10-15 minutes afterwards, may increase the chances of getting pregnant.
- Avoid alcohol, cigarettes, and marijuana. All women trying to conceive should avoid these substances, as they can harm the fetus before pregnancy is identified. However, cigarettes and marijuana can also have an impact on male fertility.
- Wear boxers, not briefs. Wearing boxers may help keep the testicles at an optimal temperature, thus promoting sperm health.
- Maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle. Women who are a healthy weight, who eat a healthy diet, and who exercise regularly, and more likely to get pregnant and to sustain a healthy pregnancy.
- Manage your stress. Stress can make conception more difficult, so use methods like yoga, therapy, and meditation to keep your stress levels down.
- Know when to seek outside help. Most couples should seek help if they have been trying to conceive for a year without success.
If you’re having trouble getting pregnant, Advanced Fertility Services can help. To schedule your consultation today, please give us a call at (212) 369-8700 or click below and enter your information.