There are many misconceptions running through the grapevine about the reasons a couple cannot conceive a baby naturally after months of trying. If you are striving to get pregnant with no positive results, month after month, read on and gain some clarity about the true underlying causes of infertility.
NYC Top Fertility Doctor
NYC’s Top Fertility Specialist, Dr. Hugh D. Melnick – founder and medical director of Advance Fertility Services – reveals four (4) misconceptions about a couple’s inability to get pregnant.
Misconception No. 1 – Most young couples in their prime reproductive years can get pregnant within a month or two after they start trying.
According to Dr. Melnick, fertility for women peaks between the ages of 23 and 33.
- Young couples who are in their prime reproductive years only have a 25 percent chance every month to conceive through natural, regular, unprotected intercourse during a one (1) calendar year period.
- About 85 percent of young couples will be successful in getting pregnant within the first year of trying.
- After one year of trying to conceive naturally, a young couple’s chances of pregnancy decreases to five (5) percent.
- A woman’s fertility declines after the age of 33 and is substantially reduced, year after year, throughout her 30s.
- Between the age of 31 and 35, a woman’s chances of naturally conceiving decreases about three (3) percent each year.
- After age 35, a woman’s chances of pregnancy decreases substantially, making over one-half of couples infertile.
- By the age of 45, a woman has a less than five (5) percent chance of getting pregnant.
A woman in her 40s may still be able to ovulate, but her healthy eggs may have been depleted and those remaining are of a poor quality, potentially leading to an increased chance of an abnormal pregnancy.
- Increased chance for miscarriage
- Increased chance for conceiving a chromosomally abnormal baby – Down Syndrome
Misconception No. 2 – A man’s fertility does not decline with age.
According to Dr. Melnick, today’s educated and professional man is tending to delay fatherhood until her is older. There is a misconception that every man’s fertility will continue to be strong – in comparison to a woman’s rapid egg quality decline through age. However, male aging does attribute to infertility.
- Decreased sexual activity
- Erectile dysfunction
- Decline in semen quality
- Increase in DNA fragmentation in sperm
Dismiss any presumed misconception that the reason a couple cannot conceive is because due to the woman’s infertility. Male infertility is the primary cause of a couple’s inability to conceive in 20 percent of cases.
Misconception No. 3 – A woman cannot stop her biological clock.
Yes, she can! According to Dr. Hugh Melnick, today’s woman can take advantage of the cutting edge Advanced Reproductive Technology (ART) known as vitrification – the flash freezing of eggs. Vitrification has been introduced as a standard of care procedure proven to be a successful and reliable means for a woman to conceive in the future.
Advanced Fertility Services debunks this misconception about fertility through its successful Egg Freezing Program. Elective egg freezing is not available to women who want to delay having children while pursuing their education and careers. Those women who have been diagnosed with cancer or other diseases also have the ability to preserve their fertility before undergoing chemotherapy and potentially harming their egg reserve.
Misconception No. 4 – Women undergoing IVF will endure a multiple pregnancy.
This misconception could not be farther from the truth today, according to Dr. Melnick. At Advance Fertility Services, couples undergoing IVF are not risking a multiple pregnancy through successful IVF procedures such as:
- Natural IVF
These IVF procedures entail the successful transfer and implantation of one high quality embryo using minimal fertility medications.
NYC Fertility Doctor
Discover affordable fertility treatment by Dr. Hugh D. Melnick at Advanced Fertility Services. Click below or call directly – 212.369.8700.